With the addition of a new family member, parents have to navigate through concerns that may arise while looking after an infant, such as what size shoe infants wear. Toddlers are highly energetic and need shoes of the perfect size that not only have a good grip but also allow the developing body to grow.
As the toddler’s body develops quickly, a parent sometimes can’t figure out what shoe size would fit their child best. You do not need to worry because we are here to help you answer that question by providing an easy guide to kids’ shoes.
Research shows that the recommended average shoe size for infants between 12 and 18 months is 5, while the ideal size for kids 18 to 24 months is 6. It is advised that parents choose the perfect shoe size for their children with the help of standard shoe charts and also by measuring their child’s foot length. Generally, a 2-year-old`s foot size is around 5 to 6 inches, so they can wear a shoe ranging from size 6 to 8.
Average Shoe Size For a 2-Year-Old
The average shoe size for a 2-year-old is toddler size 5 or 6. These shoe sizes typically fit a foot 5.75 inches long. Though it is possible to estimate toddler shoe sizes from the child’s age, you should keep in mind that children’s growth rate vary and as a result, a child might wear shoes of size 5 at 11 months while another child may not reach that size until 2.
What Are The Considerations For Choosing The Correct Shoe Size?
The following are some things that you may need to consider while buying shoes for your child.
Measure your child’s feet
Instead of measuring your child’s tiny feet at home, you should visit a store that has professionals who will have the best equipment needed to find the correct size of your child’s foot.
Do not buy too big
To save money, many parents buy shoes a size too big for their toddler’s feet. Because of this, infants and toddlers learning to walk often wobble on their feet, and hence are left vulnerable to falls and trips that may result in injuries. You must look at a corresponding shoe size chart to make sure the shoes are the right size.
Check the toes
The distance between your child’s longest toe to the front of the shoe should be between 1 to 2 centimeters to allow the child to wiggle their toes freely without squishing them. But keep in mind that a distance of more than 3cm is too big while a distance of 1cm is too small.
Look for functionality instead of style
At this age, children are very energetic and spend most of their time in physical activities, and parents are advised to buy shoes, such as closed-toe sneakers with arch support, that help support these physical activities. In addition, rubber sole shoes are recommended, as they increase friction and prevent the child from falling.
Replace the shoes that do not fit anymore
Kids’ feet grow at a rapid pace, and because of this, you may need to replace shoes that no longer fit with new shoes. This allows the feet to grow properly.
How To Measure My Kid’s Foot Length?
You can measure the length of your child`s feet at home by following the simple steps listed below:
- The first step is to estimate your child’s shoe size. To do this, you need to double the child`s age in years and then add 1 for a girl or 2 for a boy. This will help you get a rough idea of the perfect shoe size for your child. Keep in mind that this method works for an age range of 1 to 5.
- Step two is using a standard shoe size chart for toddlers. According to the shoe size chart, the standard shoe size for children age 2 to 2.5 years is around 8, while the standard size for a 3-year-old is 9.
- Step three is very simple. You can simply take an outline of your child`s feet and use that as a guide in the shoe store. You can do this by making your child stand on a piece of paper and then outlining his or her feet with a marker.
- Step four involves measuring your child`s feet from toe to heel which can then be used to determine the correct shoe size.
- Step five is to determine the shoe size with the help of your child`s foot length. This can be done by increasing one-half the size of the shoe for each 1\6 inch in length.
- Step six requires your child to try on shoes of different sizes to find the one that fits properly. Keep in mind that different shoe manufacturers differ in the size and shape of shoes.
Shoe Size Chart for Kids According To Their Age
The following size chart might help you guess your child’s shoe size according to their age in both US and EU sizes.
How Much Does a Toddler’s Foot Grow?
Though every child has a unique growth rate, typically a child’s feet can grow about 1.5 cm in half a year. Therefore, it is important to measure your child’s feet regularly. It is recommended that you measure your child’s feet every two months until the age of 2, and every three months between the ages of 3 and 6. The following are some general growth rates of toddler’s feet:
- Between the ages of 0 and 2, the growth is approximately 2 cm a year, so you need to measure the foot length every 2 months.
- Between the ages of 2 and 5, the growth rate is 1.5 cm a year, so you need to measure the foot length every 3 months.
- Between the ages of 6 and11, the growth is 1 cm a year, so you need to measure your child`s feet every 6 months.
How Quickly Do Kids Grow Out Of Shoes?
This depends upon the growth rate of your child along with your child`s age. Following is a general growth rate of children according to their ages:
- Children between the ages of 1 to 3, require their shoes to be replaced every 3 1/2 to 4 months. Every 4 months your child`s feet will grow 1/2 size to a whole size.
- Children between the ages of 4 to 6, require their shoes to be replaced every 4 1/2 to 5 months. Every 4 to 5 months your child`s feet will grow 1/2 size to a whole size.
- Children between the ages of 7 to 10 should have their shoes replaced every 5 months.
- Children between the ages of 11 to 17 should have their shoes replaced every 5 1/2 to 6 months.
How To Tell If New Shoes Are Needed
Most toddlers are unable to tell their parents that they are uncomfortable, so look for the following signs in your toddler to know if they’ve outgrown their shoes:
- Your toddler is walking awkwardly. This can be due to the rubbing of shoes against their feet.
- The shoes are too tight, causing your child to limp.
- You can spot weakened seams and worn-out areas.
- Look inside the shoe for uneven foot impressions.
- Check the toe and heel areas for excessive wear marks.
Once you have figured out the problem, you can measure your child`s feet and look for a new pair of toddler shoes.
Are Shoe Sizes For Girls and Boys Different in Toddlers?
Unlike adult shoes, toddler shoe sizes are not different for girls and boys, though boys’ shoes run a little wider than girls’ shoes. On the average shoe size chart, you can see that there is no difference in the shoe sizes of girls and boys; instead, shoe sizes are divided into groups on the basis of age range.
Tips To Shop For Shoes For Your 2-Year-Old
Shoe shopping for toddlers can be a very hard task. The following is a checklist of things you should keep in mind while buying shoes for your child.
Shoes with non-skid soles
Shoes with non-skid soles allow your child to have a firm grip on the floor when walking. In addition to this, soles also need to be flexible to enable the child`s feet to move freely. You can determine the flexibility of the shoes before purchasing by folding them in such a manner that the toe and heel touch.
Your child`s feet will change over time by losing fat and growing longer. Adjustable shoe straps can help ensure an all-around good fit.
When buying shoes, make sure that the shoes have minimal bulk and are of breathable material. Lightweight shoes are said to be best for toddlers, as they help in developing endurance and strength for walking.
Wide toe box
A good shoe must have a wide toe box with enough wiggle room to allow your child’s feet to grow and spread out.
Supportive heel cup
A firm heal cup is best for your toddler’s footwear. You can test the heal by pinching it.
Many parents find online shopping for kids’ shoes a daunting task. This should not be the case; buying shoes online is not as hard as you think it is. The best way to find the perfect fit for your child’s foot before shopping online is with the help of the average shoe sizes chart.
At What Age Do Children’s Feet Stop Growing?
The growth rate varies with gender. Girls’ feet grow faster than boys’ and stop growing at t13 years, while boys’ feet grow until the age of 15.
When Do Infants Start Wearing Shoes?
It is recommended that babies start wearing shoes by 18 months of age. By this age, they can walk on their own. As a result, you need to protect them from sharp objects that may cause injury while walking.
Toddlers need to wear socks with shoes to avoid infections. Wearing socks helps in absorbing the excess moisture and also reduces friction which can cause damage to the skin.
What Are The Complications of Ill-fitting Shoes In Children?
Ill-fitting shoes hurt your child`s feet. The following are some complications your child may face because of a poor fit:
Minor foot ailments:
Wearing shoes that are too tight for your their feet may lead to cuts, blisters, reddened skin, and sore spots.
Toenails may grow into soft flesh because of the pressure applied by the footwear on the corners of the toes. This results in infection, pain, and swelling.
If your toddler wears poorly fitting shoes and rubs them against the unbendable or breathable footwear material, then they are prone to hammertoes, corns, bunions, and calluses.
Your child may lose their balance every so often, causing them to trip and fall when wearing ill-fitting shoes.
Prolonged use of poorly fitting shoes can lead to swelling of joints. One might also experience joint pain in areas like ankles, knees, and feet.
The pressure applied by the ill-fitting shoes can cause nerve damage. The signs and symptoms of nerve damage include muscle weakness, unusual pain, and numbness.
The constant pain and swelling will not allow your child to perform normal physical activities and as a result, your child will have poor self-esteem and may develop anxiety over time.
Finding the proper fit for your toddler can be a hard task but by following the tips and recommendations provided above, you can easily find the best shoes for your toddler and prevent any kind of complications. Try to check shoe size charts for recommended infant shoe sizes, making sure those baby shoes are a perfect fit! Lastly, you can always consult a professional who will help you in reaching the best decisions for your kid.